Cathodic protection is a corrosion protection technology based on electrochemical principle, which was first applied in 1824.
At that time, David, a British naval scientist, found that when two different metals were joined together and invaded the electrolyte, corrosion of one metal was accelerated while the other was protected to a certain extent.
Based on this finding, he suggested that iron or zinc should be installed on the copper bottom of ships to protect them. This is the earliest application of cathodic protection.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the application of oil and gas pipeline was more and more widely, and the corrosion problem became very serious.
In 1920, RJ kuhm of New Orleans first implemented cathodic protection for buried pipelines.
By the early 1930s, almost all buried oil and gas pipelines in the United States had adopted cathodic protection.
In 1936, the United States established the "China Cathodic Protection Association" to exchange cathodic protection technology.
In 1943, the association was officially renamed NACE, which made great contributions to the development of cathodic protection technology all over the world.
In 1958, cathodic protection technology was applied in China for the first time in Karamay Dushanzi oil pipeline.
By the 1960s, cathodic protection had been widely used in oil pipelines.
Since the late 1990s, cathodic protection has been applied to the tank floor.
Up to now, cathodic protection has been applied to almost all oil and gas pipelines, storage tanks and offshore structures. For the water pipeline, the cathodic protection of concrete reinforced wharf is also gradually developed.